Tuesday, December 8, 2009

I'll Take the $250K, If You Don't Mind


An economic analyst has run the numbers to determine the value of the stimulus for job creation. According to recovery.gov, 640,329 jobs have been created by the stimulus through October. This is of significant importance to me, because technically I am 1 of 640,329. I am working on a stimulus-funded project and was hired right before it started. There is no way for me to deny that I am a statistic, but it still doesn't make me happy about or proud of the amount that the government has flushed away, which is $157.8 billion to date. By doing some simple math, that amounts to $246,436 spent per job created. I can assure you that my salary is nowhere near that figure. Where did the roughly $200,000 in spare change go? Somewhere in the black hole that we call the federal bureaucracy. I suppose when I got my job offer back in June, I could've been a little more assertive at the negotiating table. I should've said, "I'll take the $250K, if you don't mind."

No comments:

Post a Comment